Newsletter Signup

.

A Significant Fear



You guys have heard of this blogfest me and my blogging pal Talli Roland are co-hosting…right? THE SIGNFICANT OTHER BLOGFEST. We are both super-pumped about it and can’t wait to read all the posts that day. We’re anticipating revelations galore, as well as a deeper understanding of what makes each of us tick. But there is something else I’ve seen through the course of reading the comments about our venture, a hint of something I consider a tad unsettling. FEAR.

On the surface, it comes across as an innocent, almost playful undercurrent of trepidation. Maybe I really don’t want to hear what my significant other has to say about my writing. But that makes me wonder -- how many are joking around, and how many won’t admit to the amount of truth in that statement? Let’s take it one step further…how many of my fellow writers/bloggers won’t even bother to ask their significant other to take part in the blogfest because of this fear?

I, in turn, had to ask myself the same question. What will my wife say in her post? Sure, she gripes about my time in front of the computer (or as she calls it, “checking out”) and she’s not thrilled that I associate regularly with so many women bloggers (can I help it if 95% of this writing blogosphere is female?). But moving past all that I know in my bones that she truly supports my writing and my dream to become published. She believes in my manuscripts as much as I do (sometimes more), and understands there’s still much for me to learn about the craft. How many of my fellow bloggers can say the same. How many are unsure? Is it a handicap if your significant other simply ‘tolerates’ your writing?

YOU!  HEY YOU!  That’s right…I’m talking to you now – the so-called significant other. I’m calling you out. I’m putting the spotlight on you for a change, just for a brief moment, and providing you the opportunity to make a statement that goes far beyond lip service. Do you realize that the writer your associated with regularly strips themselves naked, stands openly before a forum of their peers (and more importantly those with the power to judge), and asks a simple question. Is my writing good enough? At least that’s what it feels like. But the real meaning of their question is… Am I good enough? When that answer is anything but positive, they’ll need someone to lean on for support, but honestly even when the answer is positive they’ll still need someone…the process is just that scary. Are you that person you they can turn to?

If it is, then tell them …and let us listen. And if you’re too shy to have your thoughts posted here in the blogosphere, tell them anyway. Erase all of the doubts and uncertainty. Show us…and more importantly, them… that beneath the griping and dismissive looks, there lies a rock solid foundation of unshakable support. Their Champion.

I hope you’ll come out on January 21st, because it’s going to be a truly special day. Give us a chance (through our comments) to thank you for everything you do.

21 comments

  1. Ohhh I'm excited to see what crap come out of the hubs's mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubs is a great financial wiz, but as far as articulation....hmmm...

    Not sure if I can get more out of him other than, yeah...you can do it. It will happen. Which is great and all, but does not make for an interesting read. I think I might ask my kids, probably my daughter. I'll let you have at it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I sign up? I think I might have my son do it. My husband just rolls his eyes if I ever mention blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll admit that I'm a big weenie when it comes to sharing my writing with my husband. I know--that goes against the whole, "share yourself with your life partner" deal, but I'm honestly much more comfortable showing my writing to all of you and getting critiques (harsh equals helpful in my book) than showing him. It sounds horrible, and I know he would say incredibly nice things, but I'm just not there right now. If you change your topic to blogging about the Philadelphia Eagles and how they should've stepped it up this year, then he'd totally be up for it. As is, I can't wait to see what the participants have to say! GREAT idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't really have a significant other. Unless you count my twin sister and i don't think she pays any attention to the "writer" me. At least, not enough to even write a sentence about it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have already gotten the man to write his post, though it did require some persuasion. *wriggles eyebrows*

    Seriously though, the post is scheduled to go. I'm excited about this blogfest. It's something different, new, and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My wife is having foot surgery two days before the blogfest. I tried to convince her to write her post beforehand, but she insists she'll be fine. So I might end up just taking dictation on her drug-induced ramblings. Which, of course, will be it's own kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I talked to my husband, and it sounds like he might participate : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I linked you on my sidebar - but won't be joining. Or, rather, hubby won't ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to be there but as of yet... don't know whether it will be a post by or an interview with :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! As much as I'd like to hear what my DH has to say about my writing, I'd have to explain the concept of a blog to him first, and that would take forEVER! Looking forward to seeing everyone else's SO's comment though. Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic post, DL! It is a bit of a fear-inducing thing, letting the other half take over! But I think the blogfest will be great fun, and I can't wait to read all the others entries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wife is very supportive although I get the look when I've been online too long.
    And have you been talking with Hart? What is it with all the nakedness around here?

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA! What a great idea for a blog post! I'm a little afraid to join though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby's very supportive, but that's probably because I've never asked him to read my stuff. He doesn't have time, and seriously, what does he know about YA books for girls. He pretty much freaked out when he found out we were having a girl (first two were boys). Of course now he's wishing all our kids are girls!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! I doubt I can get my hubby to participate though....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha! Love this, D.L. I'm sitting the hubby down tonight and making him read it. Just for fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I'm not too afear'd. My oldest son in the house has agreed to write a post - I think you'll be lucky to get more than three or for sentences out of him.

    Whatever he says, though, I'm sure its stuff I've heard before, so I'm not too concerned.

    I'm getting curious though.


    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator