Newsletter Signup

.

UNTRACEABLE review


Today is the release day for Shelli Johannes-Wells book, UNTRACEABLE, and in honor of that occasion I wanted to post my first ever review.


My book flap summary – Grace’s upbringing hasn’t been like other sixteen year old girls.  She’s spent just as much time in the wilderness with her Forest Ranger father, learning everything she can about nature and how it needs to be protected now more than ever, as she has in an actual classroom.  Then her world is turned upside down when her father mysteriously disappears during a routine patrol and months of searching yield very few clues regarding his fate.

Now it seems Grace is the only person who hasn’t given up on finding her father, straining all of her relationships in the small little mountain town where they live, even the one with her mother.  But Grace isn’t ready to give in to popular opinion, even if it means pissing off a few friends and the local sheriff to find out what really happened in those woods.  In the process she stumbles across a handsome young stranger who shares her affinity for wide-open country.   Grace reluctantly permits herself to enjoy her time with the outsider, who stirs up feelings she’s never experienced before, but soon they are both put in dangers way when she uncovers the real reason for her father disappearance. Was she too late to recognize a conspiracy that reaches far beyond the mountains she calls home?

Let me preface the remainder of this review by stating not only is this my first attempt at reviewing, but I’m also not the target audience for this book.  This definitely belongs in the YA genre, with a lean towards the female reader, but I have to say that I still enjoyed the book a great deal.  Let me tell you why.

What I really enjoyed: I think the highest praise I can give Shelli’s book is that I finished it on a Thursday evening and felt compelled to go camping with my son the next afternoon.  The imagery of life in the wilderness that her words formed in my mind was very real and appealing, without being overly descriptive and dragging down the story, which can often happen.   The supporting characters leapt off the page with loads of personality and Grace as a MC was very easy to relate to.  The book was also a quick read because of the equal emphasis on the action and suspense.

Nitpicks:  Not being a YA, or a regular YA reader, the romantic triangle (which seems to the mandatory in these type books) and Grace’s teenage angst was distracting and at times pulled me out of the overall story.  I will concede though that Shelli is so good at communicating the dynamic of teenage rebellion, that as a father I tended to react negatively, which may or may not have been the desired result.   I also felt some of the plot elements surrounding the resolution of the mystery challenged believability, but I’ve had that same issue with some best-selling mainstream offerings lately, so I’ll cut her some slack on that point. J

You don’t have to trust my layman’s opinion; UNTRACEABLE has already been well received by Kirkus Reviews, which I highly recommend you read by clicking on the link.

Overall, UNTRACEABLE was a satisfying read that the YA adult reader will devour quickly and no doubt come back looking for more.

PS.  Round 4 of WRiTE CLUB is waiting for your vote, and the Deja Vu Blogfest scheduled for December 16th is going to be EPIC!  If you haven't signed up yet, do so right now.

14 comments

  1. OMGosh...I'm so happy for Shelli!! Yay! I love the premise of this book.

    BTW - still room in the Write Club??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good - hooray for Shelli! And you write a great review - I always have such a hard time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a YA fan and this sounds like a good read to me. Your review was very balanced and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review. I appreciate the honesty and the fact that you share your thoughts in a way that gives readers the understanding you are not passing any negative judgement.

    Admittedly, I think the love triangle is sort of needed, I mean, desired. I'm a girl. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Shelli!! The book sounds fun, and the cover is gorgeous! What a detailed review you gave! Wow. I did a book review today, and it wasn't nearly as detailed. It's honest and real. Just more proof of your writing abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you thought of camping with your son! I ordered my copy this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the love triangle angst just goes with the territory.

    And I thought about you before we hit the road to Arkansas. I figured you were with family, too. After everything that's happened this month, I just wanted a week of doing nothing with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a fabulous book! I'll be posting my review soon too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fantastic job with your review - and many congrats to Shelli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, congrats on your first ever review! Good job showing both sides and pointing out where your personal tastes might be affecting your opinions. Me - I love a good triangle. ;) Maybe it's a girl thing.

    Okay, off to WRiTE club.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just reading about your review makes me want to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought it yesterday. Not sure when I'll get to it. My TBR pile is out of control. I have to read some YA horror first since that's my next project.

    You've got to love it when you get to read novels for "research".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for Shelli! What a SUPER exciting time!!! This was an awesome post DL! Sorry I've been distant! Hoping to be back in the game soon!!

    YA Tournament of Heroines: Hermione is my Heroine... Care to join?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for Shelli! It sound like a great book. I think I already like the MC.

    Can't wait for the Deja Vu Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator