Newsletter Signup

.

WRiTE CLUB and Other Hodge Podge


Sorry for delaying the WRiTE CLUB quarter-finals for a week, but I felt Monday’s post had an important message that couldn’t wait.  Anyway, the voting was really tight last week with three votes being the largest margin of victory, but here are our quarter-finalists:

Anne Shirley
Jamie Stuart
Casey Brooks

And the fourth wildcard selection, which had the most number of votes amongst the non-winners, had to be decided by tie-breaker…which is me.  This is exactly why I’ve kept myself in the dark regarding our WRiTER’s real identities, so I can focus solely on the writing.  My choices came down between Lily Mason and Lucky Left Hook, and I chose…

Lucky Left Hook

Both writers demonstrated masterful command of the material and offered very compelling pieces, but in the end I chose the submission I lingered on the longest.  Kind of like an aftertaste, but in a good way.

The first quarter final bout will be next Monday…with the voting remaining open for two days…and the second bout will be posted on Wednesday, also open for voting for two days.  Our two finalists, once selected, will have one week to prepare a new 500 word submission to WOW the hungry crowd in the final round.  I can’t wait!

                                                                                                                                                                         

I also have some other stuff going on I wanted to let you in on.  On Friday, February 24th, I’ll be guest posting on the A to Z Challenge blog.  I’ll be revealing DL’s A to Z Survival Guide, so you’ll definitely want to check that out.



Next Tuesday will be Alex J. Cavanaugh’s CassaFire Catch Fire book launch blog party, which I’ll be taking part in, so make plans to stop by for that.

Keeping with this year’s philosophy of making it uncomfortable in my comfort zone, I signed up for the DFW Writers Conference in Dallas May 19-20.  I’ll be tackling my first pitch session that weekend and I’m already hyper-ventilating.  If anyone is attending that particular conference or if you’re a blogger in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, give me a shout and we’ll see if we can arrange a get together!

And finally, my wife’s favorite author is Diana Gabaldon.  She was reading Diana’s blog recently and came across a particularly interesting post.  My wife thought of me…and you guys & gals…thinking the article would be informational for us.  She was right.  It you ever wanted to know why it takes so long for a manuscript to go from the author’s hands to the bookshelf, read Diana Gabaldon’s post here.

Happy Hump Day everyone!  :)

23 comments

  1. Be the ball? I'm trying.I'm really trying. And re: the mock-up cover. What if you changed the pants from jeans to suit pants. Would that work? It's such a cool cover, as are your orange sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to the WRiTE Club finals! Although I agonized over picking winners in the last rounds and I know it's only going to be even worse next week, lol!

    And great news on the conference, Don! I salute you -- I haven't done that yet, but I'm going to have to at some point... I wish you the best luck there!!!

    And I signed up for the Linky Tools "follow" but I used my gmail e-mail account and I can't get to it from work, so it'll have to be this evening before I finalize the follow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the google follower widget was just vanishing for non Blogger users. I am sooooo confused!!!

    Congrats Lucky Left Hook on winning the vote. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought GFC was only going away for non blogger blogs? I've followed you via networked blogs, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is GFC leaving for Blogger as well? Either way, I think I'm subscribed just by RSS ... I'm not sure. The competition is going to be hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for Write Club finals! Looking forward to your A-Z post on Friday. Have a great day, DL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DIANA GABALDON IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR EVER!!!!!!! <---Man, the caps didn't even display my complete excitement. Tell your wife I'm an absolute freak about her books... I've read them all... oh, twenty times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Writer's conference - you lucky dog. Be sure to wear those orange sneakers.

    So glad to hear that Google is going to mess with my head, my blog and my ego AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck at the conference. I'm looking forward to your A-Z post. I'm going to need all the advise I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to everyone who made it into the WRiTE club finals! I'm really excited to see some big matches coming up next week! Have fun at the conference, Don... go in there and knock em dead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to all the finalists in Write Club! I'm excited for you about the conference in Dallas. Go and Get Them!! Make them fight over representing you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Down to the final four - very exciting! And thanks for mentioning my Catch Fire party next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be sure and come visit and see Alex's book party. I'm sure you will enjoy the conference, but I don't blame you for being nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck at the conference!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Write Club is getting so HARD! looking forward to the next steps though :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much going on.

    That's very sweet of your wife to recommend the blog post.

    I've gone from anxious to excited about the A to Z blogging challenge. Will have to make sure I check out your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited about the Quarterfinalists! And I am looking forward to your post on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best of luck on the pitch. You'll do great. I did 4 year before last and I'd thought I'd hyperventilate, too. I didn't and I did well. So will you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to the finalists :) It has been fun to follow this.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just wanted to say hi, I'm doing the A-Z. Please let us know how the Dallas conference goes. I was tempted to attend. Can you say "chicken."

    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Diana Gabaldon--thanks for the link to that post. I'm kind of living some of that at the moment. Congrats to the quarter-finalists!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoot! Hooray for the quarter finalists. This has been so fun. I hope everyone unmasks themselves. Great work, DL~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Be the ball, man! Be the ball."

    Love your motivational post! So true. It's just about making it happen... oh, and a lot of mega hard work. But oh how sweet the success will taste when it comes, right?

    And congrats to the anon writers in Write Club!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator