Newsletter Signup

.

Insecure Writers Group Post - September

Are there any SECURE writers?  Really?  I guess its all a matter of perspective...and degree.  But instead of discussing what brings me down and makes me question what I'm doing, I'm going to talk about a moment that perked me up. It wasn't a particularly encouraging query letter response, or a glowing review from a critique partner, but rather a simple comment left on this very blog that came via an innocuous route. 

Over the long weekend I was catching up on my blog reading, leaving comments here and there, when I received a comment of my own.  It was from a new follower who liked what I had to say in one of my comments and followed me back to my blog.  She informed me that after reading several of my old posts she really enjoyed the way I wrote and looked forward to the day my book was finally published so she could read it.

That simple comment made my day...my weekend...heck I still think about it.  Unsolicited praise, no matter how minor, goes a long way with us insecure writers.  We can crash into desparity at the drop of a hat, but we can soar above the clouds just as easy!

By the way, I'm being interviewed by Megan & Sarah at Sisters in Crime today.  Check it out if you have time.  They are a pair of aspiring graphic novelist worth checking out!

11 comments

  1. Very cool! I agree that a simple comment can really lift your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, take all the compliments you can get. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to come around a lot less than critical comments.

    Also, FWIW, glad you're back on the blog scene. Last time I checked, you had taken a break, given up on writing etc. Although I was disappointed, something deep inside told me you wouldn't stay away forever. Glad my instincts were right. I enjoy reading your blog. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO RIGHT, D.L. Praise from unexpected places does tend to mean more, simply because it was unasked for. I'm so glad you were buoyed!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DL, those are the words we all dream of! I get a comment from a fellow blogger that 'Hey, I just bought your book and I'm enjoying it' and I'm set to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful comment. I love it when something unexpected comes along that makes your day, or even your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. It's always nice to hear things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's been some lovely things said about how bloggers encourage each other. I'm pleased to see you back and firing on all cylinders.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very cool! We're always in need of those little boosts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's those little things that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really cool DL. We never know how our words can affect someone's day. Praise or encouragement from an unexpected person means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had my book up for sale for a few days now...sold 4 whole copies so far and nearly screamed with excitement. (I'm a dork - 4 ...really? Yep - happy!)

    I received an email from a stranger who is "friends" with me on facebook saying they couldn't stop reading until they were finished. I nearly fell off my chair.

    Kind words never fail to serve. I try to be sure I spread a few myself each day.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator