Newsletter Signup

.

The first rule of WRiTE CLUB.....


Welcome to the first meeting of WRiTE club.  This is an ambitious undertaken whose inspiration was born numerous weeks ago during an exercise of mine comparing different writers voices (You Sure Do Talk Funny), it gestated in the back of my mind for awhile, then finally crystallized over the weekend.  I've seen versions of this concept around the internet before, but nothing quite like this.  I'm hoping that the unique approach and your participation will set us apart.  At the essence of WRiTE CLUB is simplicity, good-natured competition, and a lot of potential fun.  Here are the basic rules, or tenets, with further explanation to follow.

1st RULE: You do not talk about WRiTE CLUB.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about WRiTE CLUB.
3rd RULE: If someone taps out, WRiTING is over.
4th RULE: Only two people to a WRiTE.
5th RULE: One WRiTE per week.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.
7th RULE: WRiTES will go on until Feb1. 
8th RULE: If this is your first week at WRiTE CLUB, you HAVE to WRiTE.

How does WRiTE CLUB really work?  Every writer who wishes to WRiTE should submit a 250 word sample of their WRiTING via email to dlh.hammons@gmail.com.  The sample should be identified by a pen name of your choosing (be creative) that nobody has ever seen before.  The WRiTING can be of any genre, any style (even poetry) with the word count being the only restriction.  My wife will be monitoring that email address and will assign a number to each sample we receive.  I will never see who belongs to what writing, other than by the pen-name.  Beginning on November 7th, the first WRiTE will be held.  On that date I will randomly select two of these anonymous entries and post them for head to head competition .  The winner will be selected by WRiTE spectators via their votes left in the comments (you don't have to be a WRiTER to vote, anyone can participate).  Ties will be decided by me (if necessary) since I will have not seen any of the authors names.  The victor will automatically be eligible for the semi-finals that will begin February 1, 2012, and the runner up will be placed back in the pool for possible selection for the next weeks WRiTE. It's that simple!

There are few other details and definitions to clarify.  Let's address them one by one from the rules above.

1.  Pretty self-explanatory *shaking head side to side*
2.  Are you learning impaired? *exaggerated wink*
3.  Tapping out means a WRiTER can decide at any time during the 12 week competition to withdraw their name from the pool.    
4.  This is a head-to head competition, no ganging up allowed.
5.  No matter how many submissions I receive, there will only be one WRiTE per week. 
6.  Come on, tell me you didn't giggle at that one.
7.  On February 1st the 12 winners will start to match up against one another on daily posts until the ultimate WRiTER is chosen.
8.  Each week any new submissions will be placed in a "newby" pool from which one half of the WRiTE will be made up.  The other WRiTER will come from the existing pool.  If there are no "newbies", both WRiTERS will come from the existing pool less the previous winners.

After the competition is over and we have a final champion, I will release the true names of only the WRiTERs who allow it.  Otherwise, the competition will remain completely anonymous to prevent anybody from having their feelings, or pride, hurt.  It will also be fun trying to figure out which writing might be who's, but remember RULE #1.

I know they'll be questions, so go ahead and leave them in the comments section and I'll post the answers in a follow-up post, but I'll go ahead and answer one right now.  Why the little "i" in WRiTE?  Simple, WRiTE CLUB is about our community and finding creative ways to shine a spotlight on some very good writing.  Although  I may be the facilitator, it's not about...I.  

Are you game?  Are you willing to WRiTE for what you want?  Then crack those knuckles and get ready to flex that imagination.  And whatever you do, DON'T tell your friends.  DON'T blog...DON'T twit...DON'T post a Facebook status update about it. ;)

WRiTE CLUB is ON!!!

27 comments

  1. This sounds SO fun! I might just have to enter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a fun idea. You are a man of big ambitions, DL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, i am totally in for this.

    questions: can we start submitting any time now?

    does the 250 words have to be a complete piece (ie, flash fiction)?

    If not, does it have to be the first 250 words of something?

    And because your wife is manning the email, it's ok to send our 250 words from an email address that has our name in it, yes?

    I'm really excited for this. Gotta go look through my stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to start during the craziness that is NaNo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude! What an awesome idea! *sits down, waits*

    This I gotta see... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool :) I'll cudgel my brain for something totally new.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool idea! Mabye the first 250 of the NaNo project --- which I haven't thought about yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crap, it would have to be something new, wouldn't it?
    And you are one away from seven hundred followers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing ... *strokes chin and purses lips* ... so, yeah, does it have to be complete in and of itself or the first 250 words of something? When can we send you (your wife) something?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea! I'm looking forward to seeing the entries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea.... HMMM, I am really thinking about entering. DL you have some of the most amazing ideas on this here blog! I don't know how your genius works but don't ever lose it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with in terms of creative names :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooo... how fun! I'm getting in on this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant! Can't wait to see the Writes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this sounds like too much fun! I'll send something over... :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. You crack me up, DL.

    Now I just have to think of something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds cool! I'll have to see if I have any writing to submit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, that sounds like fun!! I'm going to be deep in the Nanosphere though. Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  20. what an awesome idea! Can't wait to see how it plays out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is cool. I am in. Well, I guess you won't know I am in, will you? I love this. You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea!!! I'll be back to read the concept and rules more closely, and probably submit!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  23. DL - Your picture needs to be in the dictionary next to COOL. My mind is flitting around already.

    It can be any 250 words we want?

    I'm actually hopping up and down in my chair with excitement. I predict you will have many many more entries than slots (because this is cool).

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator