Newsletter Signup

.

Blogging from A to Z Challenge - 2012


I’ll never be accused of not going all-in whenever I commit to something, and that’s perfectly illustrated by my participation in this year’s A to Z challenge.  The brain child of Arlee Bird of Tossing it Out, it began with his post from Saturday March 27, 2010 when he set forth a challenge to all bloggers for the month of April.   Could they post every day except Sundays during that month?  And to make things even more interesting, could they do it thematically from A to Z?  Nearly 100 bloggers took the challenge that year, and it exploded to an amazing 1,300 last year.  I chose not to participate in either those previous years, but as part of my 2012 resolution to make things uncomfortable in my comfort zone, not only am I jumping into the fold, I’m one of the co-host. *GULP* I tell people that one of the reasons I started this blog was to keep writing as much as possible, so I’ve decided to put my words where my mouth is.  :)

Here are all of my fellow co-hosts.

Co-Hosts:

Tossing It Out (Arlee Bird)
Amlokiblogs (Damyanti Biswas)
Alex J. Cavanaugh (Alex J. Cavanaugh)
Life is Good (Tina Downey)
Cruising Altitude 2.0 (DL Hammons)
Retro-Zombie (Jeremy Hawkins)
The Warrior Muse (Shannon Lawrence)
The QQQE (Matthew MacNish)
Author Elizabeth Mueller (Elizabeth Mueller)
Pearson Report (Jenny Pearson)
No Thought 2 Small (Konstanz Silverbow)
Breakthrough Blogs (Stephen Tremp)

For the few who don’t know how it works, it’s really very simple. Most of the time if you subtract Sundays from April, you then have 26 days--one day for each letter of the alphabet.  When April 1st lands on a Sunday (like it does this year) you begin on that day which will be the only Sunday you would post during the challenge.

Using this premise, you would start beginning April 1st with a topic themed on something with the letter A, then on April second another topic with the letter B as the theme, and so on until you finish on April 30th with the theme based on the letter Z.  It doesn't even have to be a word--it can be a proper noun, the letter used as a symbol, or the letter itself.  The theme of the day is the letter scheduled for that day. 

But perhaps even better than the fun, will be the usefulness of the exercise.  Several times I've read where bloggers said they couldn't think of anything to blog about.  Writers often engage in exercises which involve prompts, or suggestions for topics.  There are books, blogs, and websites devoted to providing prompts to be used as topic ideas.  Using the letters of the alphabet you can just think up words for each letter and pick one to write about.  If you're still stumped scan a dictionary or encyclopedia.  Come on!--the prompts are everywhere.  And the posts are generally short and sweet, so you don’t worry about having to come up with a mammoth thousand word post every day.

As a co-host it’s my job to help spread the word, encourage participation, offer idea’s in case someone is stuck on a letter, and basically keep the pot stirred.  In preparation I’ve already written and stored away some letter themed post and by the time April rolls around I should have most of the month covered. 

Registration doesn’t start until January 30th, but we are all spreading the word beginning today.  How about it?  Are you up for a challenge?  Who wants to come out and play?

37 comments

  1. You're just like me, Don. I always watched from the sidelines, afraid to commit to so much blogging, but I'm taking the plunge along with you this year. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in. Nervous, but I'm in. My thoughts are kind of random...I'll see if I can organize them in alphabetical order...lol (that was a nervous giggle =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shake at the thought of committing myself to this much blogging in one month. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, it's easy when you plan ahead! Then you're not scrounging around for something that starts with Q. But it is the most fun you will ever have blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I participated last year and it was way more fun than I'd expected! It also challenged me to think out of the box, take a few risks with posts. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in! I'm already planning my posts. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower! This will be my second year of A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to another A-Z, nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have proven yourself in your previous challenges so I think you'll be a natural in the A to Z Challenge. Your post today makes me want to do it even more (as though I needed coaxing).

    Great to have you on the Team!


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I see the warnings have begun. :) Haven't made my mind up last year I burned out. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in again this year. Last year was a total blast. Never had so much blogging fun in my life. I kept my posts to 200-300 words so I didn't get burned out and visited as many people as I could.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I doubt I'll be joining up - but I will definitely cheer from the sidelines! The daily blogging wouldn't be a problem for me, but keeping up with commenting would be - April is a crazy month for me. I don't feel like I could do it justice. But I'll dig out some pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DL...great post!

    You've hit on some excellent points to why one should participate - it really does challenge you to write...write...and write some more - for twenty-six days!

    It was the best thing I could have done to help me focus on my writing and stretch my mind.

    I'm looking forward to co-hosting with you and the team - good times await!

    Cheers, Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't done it the past few years. Maybe this is the year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not brave enough to join in but I'll have a lot of fun following along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm debating. It does sound like fun and I'm always up for a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If all goes well, I hope to be a newbie participant this year. Should be fun! Count me in as your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alright, alright, I'll do it. I'm totally commitment-phobic and afraid I can't keep up, BUT for this afternoons blog fix, I visited The QQQE, AlexJ, and you. In that order. How can I resist?

    Blogging six days a week,I sure hope there are no grammar police. You know me and commas.

    I'm gonna have to plan ahead and prepare. Oh,man. Maybe on W-day I'll post about whining.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm getting a little closer to signing up for this. I may try something with it, see if it works out. Feeling experimental.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yeaaahh what a great thing you post,,always a great post =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did it last year with publishing and promoting tips for each of the letters. When it was over, I already knew what I was going to do for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did it last year and found it to be lots of fun. If I was stumped for a topic I looked up words in the dictionary until I found one I would like to write on.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! Nice to get a look at your place! I'm liking it! You did a great job introducing and enticing others to come play with us. It's going to be a great time! Just so you know, I'm famous for my popcorn (in a real pan, with peanut oil and popcorn from a 50# restaurant supply store bag o corn. I'll be making enough for all of us, just bring your own beverage. Unless you'd like to drink my box-o-chardonnay. I keep one in the fridge.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know this was your first year; you'll rock this! So glad to be working with you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't think I have ever posted more than MAYBE eight times in a month? But i like extreme measures! Probably around the 3rd week or so, things are going to start getting weird... haha can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not an every-day sort of blogger; I don't even read blogs every day, but good luck to everyone doing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know if I have the testicular fortitude for such an event. Then again, I have trouble making it all the way through the buffet line at the Chinese restaurant, so I guess that's not saying much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I did it last year and had a total blast! I look forward to another A-Z.
    And what a great A-Z team - you guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't done the challenge before either but I am looking forward to it this year. Super excited to be co-hosting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like fun! I may be out of blogging commission in April, though, so I can't commit this year. Reading the posts last year was fun~ I especially loved seeing what people came up with for "X."

    ReplyDelete
  31. I did this last year, but I started late, and didn't plan at all..just kind of went by the seat of my pants every day...but it was a lot of fun!!! Someone mentioned popcorn,now I have to make some...oh yeah, great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i t is going to be a great challenge not only for the players, but the team leaders... it is going to make blog world swirl... yeah i said it swirl... great to be on the team.

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Visit The Madness:
    IZOMBIE

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm in. I've already started working on a few of my posts to try and get ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey DL, just wanted to say thank you for being a co-host! A-Z is why I started blogging. I saw something about it last year on Facebook and decided to jump in. Best decision ever! I can't wait for April and can't believe that will mark my ONE year blogging anniversary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy to host alongside with you, too, Don! Not bad, one post on one Sunday? I do love taking my Sundays off I do!

    Happy New Year!
    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator