Newsletter Signup

.

The ORIGINS Blogfest


Is anybody a fan of comic books? I used to be obsessed when I was a kid. My collection had grown to massive proportions, until I was foolish enough to give it all away to a friend as an act of rebellion just before my military family moved yet again. I had collected all the classics, Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, X-Men, Silver Surfer, Captain America, and on and on.  And in every series there was one issue that was always my favorite…the origin.  That’s the issue where you learn how the superhero came to be, gained his abilities, or what it was that set him on the path to right all wrongs and defend the innocent.  I know I’m not a superhero, a hero, heck…I won’t even question a cashier when they give me incorrect change back, but I do have my own origin story when it comes to my writing. I consider it my official chronicle of how I became a writer and even blogged about it before. I almost considered using that post as my entry for the Deja Vu Blogfest.  

I’ve read a couple other bloggers ORIGIN stories as well, and they are always fascinating!  If you’re like me, then you love to find out more about your peers and discovering how it all began is as good as it gets.  So, you know what that means…right?  Yep!  Blogfest!


I’m proud to announce that on February 13th, one of my cohorts from the Déjà vu Blogfest…Katie Mills (Creepy Query Girl)…along with Alex J. Cavanaugh and Matthew MacNish  (Quintessentially Questionable Query Experiment), will be co-hosting with me the ORIGINS blogfest.  Here’s a synopsis of what will happen on that date for you to use in spreading the word:  On Monday, February 13th, you should post your own origin story.  Tell us all where your writing dreams began.  It could be anything from how you started making up stories as a child, or writing for the school newspaper, or even what prompted you to start a blog.  How about stories about the first time somebody took an interest in your writing, or the teacher/mentor that helped nudge you along and mold your passion, or maybe the singular moment when you first started calling yourself a writer.  It all started somewhere and we want you to tell us your own, unique, beginnings. 

First, you need sign-up to participate via the handy dandy Linky tool below (or at any of the host blogs above), circle the date on your calendar so you don’t forget, then shout out to all of your blogging friends and encourage them to sign up as well.  Oh yeah, don’t forget to take the nifty badge we created to advertise our project and plaster it everywhere. 

I can't wait to hear about all of your writing ORIGIN's! How about you?


60 comments

  1. Entered! I love reading people's origin stories! Great idea for a blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap. I was probably supposed to announce this today too. I've got too many things scheduled these days, and I can't announce tomorrow either, because I'm doing your query.

    Hmm. Maybe I'll announce it briefly before your query post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand, even though I screwed up my announcement, this is still one of the coolest ideas for a blogfest ever. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, used to be a big fan of comic books and baseball cards. Had a ton of both, and gave 'em all away. (Some amazing rookie cards, too ... what an idiot.) This blogfest sounds intriguing. If I decide my story is worth telling, I'll jump in with both feet. Er, one foot. Never test the water with both feet ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting to learn more about each other... so many writers and so many stories. And man I bet you're kicking yourself for giving away the comics. I have one Elfquest comic book left.
    And I agree, the origins are always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great idea for a blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The badge is up on my blog! I was also a huge comic book fan, but I kept mine and still read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I signed up. I'm posting that day anyway so this sounds like an easy enough topic to write about.


    Lee
    Have you heard about the A to Z Video Challenge?
    Blogging from A to Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up. Didn't we have this conversation a little while back? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing how other writer's got started! Can't wait for the blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've entered too! Looking forward to hearing everyone's Origins tale!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea for a blogfest! Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting on my query at Matt's blog! Alas, I already signed up for a blogfest the next day, so I'm booked. This one looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shoot, this was such a fun assignment, I just sat and got my blogpost together! What a fun trip down "origin" lane! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have so many entries! Way to go, can't wait to see some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in - and it does look like fun! Many people on the linky look unfamiliar, so I can check out 1 or 2 new people per day. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there any way to edit the Linky? I had a clumsy finger moment and typed my name wrong...geesh...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great blogfest. I'm going to think about joining.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in! Will post the sign-up sheet on my blog this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome idea for a fest! :)
    AND, just read your query over a MacNish's place. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linked and Shared, Don!
    Awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! I look forward to seeing everyone's origins. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Already in. Although my story isn't very exciting/funny/original, I am excited to read the others.

    Man, all this stuff you do for US. You're right at the top of my 'Good Guys'list. I can't say that enough. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Blogfest idea - I'm in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked the subject of this blogfest.

    I've signed up both my blogs, Don, and look forward to reading all the interesting posts on blogfest day.

    I've seen you around on most of the blogs I follow. Now I'm following you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You come up w/ the best ideas for blogfests! I can't resist...I do happen to be fond of my own "origins" story and it'll be fun to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, it's been so long since I've done a blogfest! This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea for a fest! I'm in, and can't wait to read all the entries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. DL,

    Thanks for the return follow and I'm looking forward to this BlogFest :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh, too fun! I'm totally in. You guys! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm glad I stopped by to join this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Crudzilla! I messed up in registering for the blogfest. My blog is actually "I Think; Therefore I YAM." (not AM.) Would you please fix it, dear sir? I tried, but it wouldn't let me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Origins, eh? How far back do we have to go? I was thinking of starting at the beginning, you know, where the ancestors began walking upright. Is that too far back? Okay then, I could start where my great grandparents came over on the boat? Still too far back? Okay, how about when I was born? I can still remember my birth. I was so happy I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great idea. I'm in. Thanks for hosting and I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Not that great a story but lets see what I can up with..

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a nice idea. I'll try to remember how it all started.

    ReplyDelete
  37. what would be cool is if someone could collate all these onto one page.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My contribution is at http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2012/02/origins-blogfest-when-did-your-writing.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely love comic books. I've signed up for this blog hop and would like to add that this is a great idea for a blog hop. Sounds fun and interesting! Thanks so much DL!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What an awesome idea! More than happy to take part!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Such a funny coincidence! Today I posted an origins story at DIYMFA.com (a post that had been scheduled for weeks before I learned about this blogfest). Then thanks to Heather Day Gilbert, who commented on my blog, I learned about your blogfest. I'm fascinated to read these origins stories. Kudos on a great blogfest idea!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've spent most of the day going through this list and I'm not even halfway! What a great opportunity! Thanks for the cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I cut this so close, but finally got my post up. Such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I missed out, but have recently been thinking of posting my origins stories. I still may do so, if fate so dictates.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sorry so late. Hope you can squeeze me in!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was on the verge of the 14th, but managed to make it. Haha Love reading everyone's origins!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator