Newsletter Signup

.

DFW Con & WRiTE CLUB Update


I attended the DFW Writers' Conference last week and it blew me out of the water - again.  I first paid a visit to DFW two years ago and wanted to return last year, but circumstances prevented that from happening.  But I was able to go this year and the experience was equally amazing.  

I had only been to smaller local conferences prior to DFW, but what I found so wonderful was the transition to a much larger scale was so easy and natural.  The setting (Hurst Conference Center) was perfectly laid out with a combination of large and small rooms, with plenty of spots to slip off for some alone-time to recharge those introvert batteries if needed.  But everyone was so friendly and approachable, that was never necessary.

This year I took advantage of a pre-conference workshop (two were offered) with Donald Maas (Writing the Breakout Novel) and I walked out of there with six pages of notes for improving my manuscript.  SIX PAGES!  There were so many helpful classes, it was very hard to choose.  One that stood out from the others -- at least for me -- was Tex Thompson's Punching Up Your Prose.  What an eye-opener!  I ran into several blogging buddies, which always gives me a thrill, but I made lots of new friends as well.

Agent pitch sessions are a staple with DFW and I made sure to partake -- nervous as I might be.  Something that's becoming a habit for me is devoting at least half of the time driving from Arkansas to Dallas fine-tuning my pitch with my wife.  It must have worked because the agent I selected asked for my first 100 pages!  Score!!   

DFW is a six hour drive from where I live, so no air fair needed, and the hotel rate is very reasonable and an easy stroll to the conference center.  There are some excellent restaurants nearby as well.  All in all DFW is in a cozy location, very affordable, and worth every penny.  If you considering a writers conference for next year, I would definitely put this one on your radar!  I'll be there again.

Oh year...did I mention that DFW is considering adding WRiTE CLUB to it's agenda in 2015?

Speaking of which, this years contest is underway and the submissions are rolling in.  Everyone who's submitted a 500 word sample should have received a confirmation email from my wife.  However, I still need your help spreading the word.  I've created the Twitter hastag of #writeclub2014 to help amp up the conversation, but that only happens if ya'll make it happen.  WRiTE CLUB lives and dies on your lips, so please do what you can to help it grow and reach more writers.

Well, I've got a synopsis to write, so I'd better get moving.  If anyone wants to ask me about DFW or WRiTE CLUB, just drop me a line.  :)

DL

26 comments

  1. That's fantastic, DL. Best of luck on the 100 page submission.

    I'll include a Writer's Club mention on my regular Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your conference went well! I've been to one, and I'm looking forward to going to more in the future. It's so nice to get to hob-nob w/fellow writers- and learn stuff as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the first 100 pages!! I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like it was awesome! Dumb question, though, what does DFW stand for? I've never heard anyone say

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DL!! I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to make it over to your new pad. Nice place ya got here. ;)

    Congrats on the 100 pages request! The conference sounds completely worthwhile, and I just so happen to have a friend that's moving down to Dallas soon so maaaybe I can swing a combo trip next year! How fun would it be to be there if Write Club is part of it?!? Will get spreading the word on WC toute de suite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DL.... I'm so sorry I haven't stopped by in such a long time, but I'm glad I did tonight. Congrats on all the great things going on in your life! Oh, and I signed up for the Blog Blitz! What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be really cool if the Write Club ends up on part of the 2015 agenda! I've never attended a writing workshop, but I took a few writing seminars and classes in college. It's not the same, I know, but the interaction with other writers and being able to pick their brains and get feedback on my work was always my favorite part. It's nice that the conference was nearby. I'm really glad you got to go this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to landing that agent. You've invested a lot of your time and energy to improving you craft, so I'm sure it will soon pay off. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best, DL, in your endeavors, time and effort spent working on your writing...and a big congrats on the success of Write Club. So exciting. You are a great spokesperson for attending conferences and getting the most out of them. Maybe one day it will be for me...until then I surely appreciate your passing on such great information. Although I won't be writing for Write Club, I will be reading. Thanks for stopping by my blog....tell your wife there's another Nuts'er for vintage jewelry out there...would love for her to stop by, too.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice your wife went with you, especially coz 6 hrs is a looong drive.I'm glad you learned a lot and even got a request out of it. Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I seriously love the new website. It looks fantastic. So glad you liked the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sound brilliant, I would love to go! Very jealous. And your wife went too - lovely! I was a little lost coming here... it's an improvement on your previous design though. Very professional. :)

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the request! Sounds like you had an exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome you were asked to send in your first 100 pages! Good luck with where this could take you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome that they're considering adding WRiTE CLUB! Sounds like a great conference!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Conferences are so inspiring, aren't they? And you meet the best people. Lucky you, going to a workshop with Donald Maass. Congrats on the request for your first 100 pages! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. (And I'm impressed that you think it's nothing to drive six hours to a conference...)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had an amazing time at your conference. So happy you were able to go this year and congratulations on all the great stuff you got out of it. Awesome! Also, big congrats on the latest WRiTE CLUB news. Good luck in the query trenches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. By the way...I love your new site! Guess I need to get out more and see what's new. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I gain so much at conferences. I'd like to go to more. Maybe I'll attend this one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll have to go chat up Writeclub. How awesome you were able to get to the conference, and they're thinking about featureing Writeclub? That's even more awesome than cheese on a stick! (Unless it's deep fried. Mm.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That conference sounds amazing-- and Mass' novel by the same name is stellar. All the best with your synopsis, and am spreading the word on Writeclub-- too many things on my plate, or I would have participated, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Conferences are usually fun. The phrase "I have found my tribe" keeps circulating my brain! Good luck with the synopsis, I don't envy you but it'll rock when you're done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, LOVE the new digs. I'm excited to check out the submissions for write club this year! I have yet to attend a writing conference, but it's on the list for next year--and congratulations on your 100 page request.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the 100 page submission!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. DL CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is so AWESOME! I hope he requests the rest shortly! You're on your way buddy! It looks like it will be an AWESOME year for you! ALL THE BEST!

    Thanks for the information on the conference. I wished I lived in your area to attend. Everything around here is so expensive and so are the ones out of town... Someday maybe...

    Your new site is AWESOME BTW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on getting Write Club possibly added to its agenda. Sounds like a great conference.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator