Newsletter Signup

.

WRiTE CLUB 2016 - Slushpile Scores


You asked...a lot. Everyone wanted to know how everyone who entered WRiTE CLUB this year fared in the eyes of the Slushpile judges...so here it is.  Above is the list of the 30 contestants who made it into the ring (excluding the second JavaInMe piece, which was excluded because only one could make it into the contest), along with the number of judge votes they each received. As you can see, nobody received votes from all twelve of the judges. In fact, the writers who drew the most votes, didn't even make it to the finals! Both of our finalist got a nod from only half (or less) of the judges. A perfect example of how making it into the ring is one thing, but what you do when your in it could be something entirely different.

Below are the scores of everyone else. An interesting note -- the second submission from The Night Songstress (one of our finalist), only garnered one vote. I'm also told from my wife (who is the only person who knows everyone's real names), that this year one of the contestants who made it deep into the competition didn't make the cut last year -- and Lisa Dunn (our 2015 champion) -- didn't get selected for the ring the year prior. As I've it said all along, the competition is fierce, and sometimes fickle, but that is the subjective nature the publishing industry deals in .



In my last post when I asked for feedback about the contest, one commenter suggested that the slushpile judges jot down their thoughts about each submission (131 of them) and those could be returned to everyone who entered after the contest was over. I'm sorry, but I feel that asking my judges to do that is too much, and frankly I doubt I would be able to get a dozen judges if that were the requirement. This is the best I could do (for now)...showing how you stacked up against everyone else in the eyes of the judges. Next year I'm considering offering more feedback to those contestants who continue to support the contest (by voting and communicating) all the way through its conclusion.


So what's the morale of this story? Don't give up! If you missed out this year, keep working on your craft and give it a whirl again next year.  A new group of judges is assembled each year, and maybe next year one of the pieces you submit will be their cup of tea!



If you're interested in receiving an email just before the 2017 version of WRiTE CLUB kicks-off, then leave your name and email address HERE. In the meantime, keep on writing!


23 comments

  1. 3 and 2. Not so bad.
    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad at all! Based on past history, you are only a couple votes away from stepping into the ring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3! I'm really happy with that for my 1st draft. Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, feedback! Lurve. The better for tracking things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get lost if you don't keep track of where you are...or where you've been. :)

      Delete
  5. 5 and 2. That's good to know. I also really appreciated the feedback from the contest voters. It was extremely beneficial. And a shout out to those at the CON who provided critique from the 8 minute reads. That too was valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take my 2 votes =) Though, unless I'm blind (which is possible) I only see one entry... so I may have effed up and only one went through. I was having email issues that night. (I was Penbleeds, if someone sees my name up there twice. Like I said, I am probably blind.)

    Can't wait to step into the ring next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my wife go back and look and we found where the confusion was. You first sent an email that said you emailed your entry to the wrong email address. Then she received two emails...both with the same subject line...and she thought you had mistakenly sent ONE submission twice. Then you sent another email saying you wanted to swap out the entry because the wrong age group was listed. She never thought you had two submissions to enter. Sorry for the confusion!

      Next year...send them both on the same email. :)

      Delete
    2. Yep, it was totally my fault! LESSON FOLKS: Don't wait until the last minute or you go nuts and screw things up, haha.

      Delete
  7. Freaking sweet! I'd have been in either way. LOVE THIS. Thanks DL, Mrs. DL, and the slushy reading judges.
    Anyone interested in that 5 voter that's crossed off, it's here: http://jlennidornerblog.what-are-they.com/2016/05/01/the-other-story-from-pen-name-javainme-writeclub2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. (And my wife says your welcome too!)

      Delete
  8. Wow, I'm so touched to have been one of the ones with 10 votes. Thank you so much for such a great experience. It was such a fun contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting results. As you said, things are fickle and vary from year to year, but I'm already looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already got some great things planned! Look out 2017!! :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much again to you and Kim for putting this all together with no reward other than encouraging and helping writers. It's been a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It couldn't happen at all without my wife. She's a real trooper, but she LOVES the interaction with the writers.

      Delete
  11. Hi Don and your wife .. you both have obviously done a great job for all the entrants - good for them and for you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you two host this and am constantly blown away by the dedication involved. Also, a huge shout out to the judges! I mean, that's a TON of reading.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator