Newsletter Signup

.

WRiTE CLUB 2018 – A Call for Volunteers

WRiTE CLUB is back…but it needs your help!

I want you to know that it absolutely tore me up to shudder the contest last year because of my work commitments. I did consider (although briefly) turning over control to someone else in my absence, but I just couldn’t do it and instead decided to risk bleeding away the momentum the contest has built in order to ensure it remained true to its core goal–providing aspiring writers an easy (and painless) avenue to give their writing the exposure it deserves.

I’m happy to report that we’re back, bigger and better than ever with more high profile judges and even more prizes! But I’m getting ahead of myself.

The contest is right around the corner and I need to get my ducks in a row.  That means I need help!  Although the anyone can enter WRiTE CLUB and we’ll take as many submissions as needed, the scheduled bouts are limited to only 30 participants (fifteen bouts).  In order to narrow down what I estimate will be 200-225 entries (500-word samples) in a fair and unbiased manner – I need a selection committee of a minimum of 12 judges (I like to call them my slushpile readers) to read all of the entries and vote for their favorites, which I will then use to select the top 30.

Before you raise your hand, I need to fully explain what you would be volunteering for.  This is a big commitment!  First, you must be open to installing and using Dropbox (a free file sharing program that I will provide complete instructions on how to use). Then you will have until April 15th to read what could be 225+ entries, each one approximately 500 words long -- which in total equates to the length of a small book – and then you’ll select 30 of what you believe are the best ones.

Most importantly – you cannot be a WRiTE CLUB contestant if you do this. 

So, what do you say?  Interested in helping shape how the competition plays out – without officially participating?  If so, send an email to writeclub2018@gmail.com and I will be in touch.

If you’ve been a slushpile reader in the past, do me a favor and leave a comment letting everyone what a favorable experience it is.

Thank you in advance.

DL

Oh…and it’s never too early to start promoting. Submissions for WRiTE CLUB will open on March 12th. Tell your friends!

#WRiTECLUBDFW

#DFWCON

10 comments

  1. Wish I could, but this year I have way too much on my plate. But as a past reader, I can let everyone know that it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you find a great batch of judges. Now that we've done the IWSG Anthology Contest three years, I know it's a huge undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is...but I'm excited to be hosting it again this year. :)

      Delete
  3. Exciting times! I suppose that means you've found a little sanity? I'm still searching. Wishing you a full roster of amazing judges, plus such epic entries that the contest becomes a HUGE battle ground. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the word EPIC could be used to describe what will happen this year. :)

      Delete
  4. Mmm...favorable. :) No, seriously, it was a lot of fun to be a reader in the past. I mean, free stories? YES PLS! You should be a slushpile reader, too, because yesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I wasn't reading a ton of submissions (and editing and formatting and marketing...) for DLP, I'd consider it. Good luck, DL. And I think we will be visiting Arkansas this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we can connect this year! Let's try and make that happen. :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! I'll post on my blog, both for submissions and readers. And give serious consideration to reading, except I'm such a softie I don't know how to say no.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator