Newsletter Signup

.

Booyah!

If I had a webcam hooked up to my PC right now you could watch me doing a Snoopy Dance. I received two more blog awards! And I don’t treat being the recipient of these awards lightly (although I do break their rules sometimes). It’s such a rush when you receive just one, so learning of two on the same day was phenomenal. I consider it affirmation, an act by one of my fellow bloggers that lets me know I’m doing something right. I guess now I should figure out how to display them in my sidebar.

The first one is the Honest Scrap award, bestowed to me by Tiana at Spilled Ink. For this award the recipient (that’s me) is urged to reveal ten truths about themselves. I secretly believe this is payback for my seeding so much BS around the blogosphere. Anyway, read’em…and I’ll weep.

1. Both of my brothers have broken one of their bones on my head.
2. I have no sense of smell. Never have.
3. I was raised a military brat. The day after my high school graduation, we moved away and I have never been back (regrettably).
4. My wife asked me out on our first date. If she hadn’t, we might not have ended up married for the last 27 years (I was that shy).
5. My first car was a 1966 Green Chevy Van. My dad let me put a mattress in the back so I could take naps between football two-a-days.
6. My English teacher in high school accused me of plagiarism for a play I wrote. She didn’t believe I could have written something so imaginative.
7. I ABSOLUTELY cannot stand to watch someone play with his or her belly button.
8. My iPod has 10,399 songs on it.
9. My children are the greatest compliment I could ever give to my parents. The three of them are true gifts, and all I did was follow the example my parents provided.
10. Although I realize she knew, I failed to tell my mother “I Love You” enough while she was still with us.

Phew…I’m glad that’s over with. I’m going to pass the award onto three awesome bloggers whom I’d be curious to hear they’re 10 truths. They are: Sharon at Random Thoughts, Michele at Southern City Mysteries, and Eva at Screaming Whispers.

Onto the next award. This one is from Chasing Empty Pavements and it’s the Silver Lining Award. It reminds us all to constantly search for the positive, in any situation, something that a writer couldn’t survive without. I’m going to pass this one along to Jamie-Kate at Jamie-Kate Writes. She is a relatively new blogger, but her optimism is catchy.

Although the Silver Lining award doesn’t come with a to do clause, I’m being bold and attaching one to it. Below I’ve listed 20 rules to live by that I’ve accumulated over the years. Future award winners will be obliged to list any number of their own rules. Let the fun begin.

DL’s Rules to Live By

1. Even though I’m not very religious, this still applies. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
2. Work before play, but a good break every now and then never hurts.
3. When you receive criticism, always consider the source. The same is true for praise.
4. Sometimes it’s easier to just agree to disagree.
5. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
6. Respect your elders, until they give you a reason to do otherwise.
7. If you’re paid a day’s wages, then work an honest day’s work. Sick time is for when you’re SICK.
8. Guys don’t hit girls. Period.
9. Too good to be true, usually is.
10. People who believe in Santa Clause receive more presents than people who don’t.
11. In for a penny, in for a pound. There are no part-time friends.
12. SELFISH is not a four letter word. It’s ok to think of yourself first sometimes.
13. If you’re going to do something, do it right the first time.
14. Never say never.
15. Relationships are HARD work! For better or worse isn’t just a catch phrase.
16. Pick your battles, then fight to the death.
17. If you can’t look at yourself in the mirror, then how do you think other people see you?
18. Making love and having sex is not the same thing.
19. Shit happens. Why spend so much time looking for someone to blame?
20. Your beliefs are your beliefs. Don’t try to make them somebody else’s.

16 comments

  1. DL--Thanks so much for the award. Very cool that you got two on one day!

    I take awards to mean that someone (you) enjoy my ramblings. Thanks for the compliment.

    Now I have to come up with 10 honest things about myself...Whew, I hope no one I know reads them. :)

    Have a great weekend and thanks for the award. I hope you keep your power. I hear an ice-storm is heading to Arkanasas and S. Missouri...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the awards!!! And thank you so much for passing one on to me. I really appreciate it.

    I enjoyed reading the ten things about you. I have to say, belly buttons freak me out. My phobia is people touching mine. It gives me the creeps.

    You really deserve the silver lining award after all that wonderful advice. I would have to second you on that list.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your awards DL! And, YAY Eva!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna see the Snoopy dance!!!!!

    Congrats on the awards. You are flying high!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your awards and thank you for passing one on to me. I would say your optimism is catching as well! I love that silver lining award. That is a new one to me. And thanks for the new links to check out.

    Honest Scrap...Now I have to tell you 10 honest things? Hmmm...This might take some time...

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the awards DL. Wow! 10000 songs on your iPod. Do you know all the lyrics?

    I've never given much thought to other people's belly buttons, but now that I think of it, outies scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have one tough head! Then again, considering how many times I ran into things with my head (including a cement floor from three feet up) when I was a child, I guess my head is tough, too.

    Funny - I asked my husband out on our first date, too. He was shy as well. And an Air Force brat. (And I asked him out when we lived in Arkansas!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat stuff, DL. And congrats of the awards. You are a fountain of positive attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon ~ Your welcome. I can't wait for the honesty.

    Eva ~ Thank you and your welcome. And here I thought I was the only person with the belly button thing. (shivers just thinking about it)

    Kimberly ~ Thank you!

    Suzette ~ There would have to be large quantities of alcohol involved for that to ever happen.

    And I'm flying high thanks to you and Bethany. You showed me the way.

    Michele ~ Thank you and your welcome also. Us mystery folk gotta stick together!

    Matt ~ Surprisingly, no. I'm not a big lyric fan, preferring to concentrate on the melody. Oh yeah, Montrose ROCKS!

    Falen ~ A thumb and big toe, but not at the same time.

    Diane ~ That's freaky! I also took a nose dive onto some pavement from three feet up when I was a kid. That time was only six stitches.

    Jaleh ~ Thank you! It does take a lot to drag me down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Blog awards are always fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love you see that Snoopy Dance! Congrats! I'm waiting for the Black Cloud award myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet I know which teacher accused you of plagiarism. She was an alcoholic and lived a very sad lonely life. Your talent probably scared her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, congratulations!! I'd be doing the Snoopy dance, too. And secondly, I just about jumped out of my seat when you said your teacher accused you of plagiarism. That happened to me too!!

    When I read that that happened to someone else, I was shocked. Whoa.

    All this to say...congratulations and thanks for sharing all of your words of wisdom, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Snoopy dance! Congratulations to you on your well-deserved awards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are wonderful rules to live by!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator