Newsletter Signup

.

WRiTE CLUB – Round 1

The time has finally arrived!  Gather around all, there are plenty of good seats left.  WRiTER’s from far and wide, spanning the globe, of all ages and representing multiple styles of WRiTING have gathered here today to witness the inaugural bout of the WRiTE CLUB!  Our illustrious WRiTER’s are not only from all walks of life, but they also inhabit various levels of the publication world.  Within our ranks we have everything from the newbie bloggers to the recently published, but inside this ring today they stand as equals before you.   The submissions have been steadily pouring in, but only two can have the honor of going first.

Let’s get to it!

 
Here are the first two randomly selected WRiTER's.

Standing in this corner, weighing in at 250 words, please welcome to the ring…ANNE SHIRLEY

Fear pierced me from the moment I recognized his eyes beneath the bloodred mask. He bowed, giving a slow smile that punctured my confidence and filled my head like a dizzying perfume.

“My lady. May I have this dance?”

I felt him grasp my waist, his hands burning like fire through my gown. The waltz began and I was swept into the blur of feathered masks and swirling skirts, trapped within the prison of his arms.

“You should not have come.”

His eyes glittered like dark pearls in a crimson sea. “How could I stay away from you?”

We spun to the music, blending into the forest of candlelit masqueraders. Beneath the heady scent of wax and roses, I sensed a more primal fragrance, like iron and rust, creeping from his pores.

I fought the urge to sink deeper into his gaze, to give in to the nightfall that would surely come. I pulled away, my dress rustling like dead leaves as I ran through the ballroom doors into the evening’s chilly embrace.

I melted into the woods, where I thought the light of the full moon would not betray me - but he found me still. I knew it when I smelled the iron and rust.

“You should not have come,” I repeated.

He pulled me close, bending down for a kiss. The seductive fire never left his eyes, not even when my fangs sank into the warmth of his neck.

Only the moon and I saw him die.


And in the other corner, also weighing in at 250 words, let me introduce to you…TRILLIAN42

“Questions like that make people nervous.” The voice slipped around the collar of the trench coat pulled tight against the rain and was blown off by a chilling breeze that scudded across the river.

“Just want my money, is all.” Taylor ducked his head, keeping his eyes on the dark figure across the hood of his car. Rain blurred his vision. He bounced on his toes to combat the numbness.

“Your money.”

Taylor fingered the baseball buried in his pocket, careful to touch only the seams so the signatures didn’t smudge. His fifth burglary of the week with nothing of value. He’d spotted the ball during his dash for the window when he heard footsteps. Dumb move, grabbing the ball. Taylor strained to see the man’s face. The street light left his features in shadows.

Finally the man tossed a fat envelope onto the hood. Taylor snatched it before water soaked in. “Now get lost.” The voice still held menace, but Taylor didn’t argue, or ask more questions. He slid behind the wheel. A gloved hand tapped on the passenger window. Taylor hit the button to roll it down and the man leaned in.

“Mr. G would appreciate if you didn’t ask any more questions.” A darting move, a flash, a muted pop. Reflex shoved Taylor’s foot into the accelerator, gunning the engine. The man ground the transmission into Drive and the car shot a dozen feet off the shore and sank slowly into the muddy waters.

No more questions

I don’t know about you, but isn’t it enjoyable just watching both of these talented WRiTER’s work!  But that is only part of the price of admission, now it’s up to you to decide who moves forward to the semi-final round, and who will return to WRiTE another day.  In the comments below leave your vote for the winner of round 1.  Which one tickled your fancy?  Will it be Anne Shirley or Trillian42?  Tell all of your friends to stop by and make a selection as well.  Anyone can vote!  The bout will remain open until noon Sunday.  Yes, it’s subjective, but so is the entire publishing world.  It’s as much about the readers as it is about the writers.  Here in WRiTE CLUB, it’s not about the last man/woman standing, it’s about who knocks the audience out!

The results will be posted Sunday night, just ahead of ROUND 2 which will happen next Monday.   Remember, you can enter the fray at anytime during the first twelve rounds by submitting your own 250 word sample and become a full-blown member of WRiTE CLUB.  Just check out the rules here…then come out swinging!

Where words are the true knockout!

DL

35 comments

  1. They're both great submissions. I'm voting for Trillian42.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them both, but I'm going to vote for Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both held my interest all the way through but I'm voting for Anne because the ending took me COMPLETELY by surprise.

    Good job to both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both writers use fantastic descriptions. Such a hard choice, but I think I'll go with Trillian42. Great job to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a way to kick off WRiTE Club! I have my money on Anne Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were both really good, but Anne Shirley wins my vote. That ending made me want to keep reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne Shirley hooked me. She gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea! I've been away so long I almost missed it. ALMOST.

    As for my vote, ANNE all the way!

    ~JD

    ReplyDelete
  9. GAH! This was hard... Wow. I like both of these. Hmm... grr... grr... I really liked Shirley's a lot, and I want to know what'll happen there, but Trillian42 has me head-scratching the most, so I guess I'll go w/it.

    My vote is for Trillian42.

    Write Club is tough! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! They both packed a punch in so few words! I enjoyed them each for different reasons.

    My vote is with Anne Shirley. She led me to fear for the girl which snowed me for the ending.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good stuff! Love the setting, all the sensual details of Anne Shirley, but I'm SOOO tired of vampires. I'll go with the noir suspense Trillian42.

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to see how everyone has such different opinions! Subjective indeed :) They were both great though, it's hard to pick when I'd read them both. My vote goes to Anne Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so hard! I honestly can't decide WRiTe now, but I'll be back if/when I make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to go with Anne Shirley, but it was tough. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this WRiTe Club! Will be coming back later :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm hooked on Anne's. But I'm a sucker for a vampire story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They were both well written, but I like the twist at the end of the first one - Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll go with Trillian42. It was tough to decide though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. Both are terrific and both pulled me in for different reasons. I like both voices, all the characters. I feel like I should flip a coin!

    Okay... hmm.... my vote goes to...
    Trillian42

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was hard. I flipped flopped between the two a couple of times.

    I vote for Trillian 42.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both were enjoyable pieces. I actually thought the writing was more dynamic in the second selection, but the POV choice in that one left me a bit confused. I had to read it twice to figure out what was going on, especially since the last paragraphs shifted abruptly to an omniscient narrator (dead/unconscious narrators can't recall details like the gear being thrown into drive). So, I'm going to have to vote for selection no. one by Anne Shirley. Nice twist at the end of that one, btw.

    Both writers had me fully engaged during the readings. Kudos to both!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trillian42 was nicely written but Anne Shirley was both nicely written and engaging so voting for Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne Shirley for me, please. They're both really great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the name Anne Shirley rocks (GO, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES!!!! Gilbert! *swoon!*), however, my vote is for Trillian42.

    You both were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne for the ending. Write club is such a creative idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved them both! But if I have to choose one, I'll vote for Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved the rhythm and pace of Shirley's; I felt dizzy dancing with the mysterious man. What a neat twist at the end for the Lady to be the vampire. Delicious.

    Trillian42 enticed me with high tension and intrigue. Taylor is obviously a rogue in his own right; mixed up in something deeper than he imagined.

    Both had vivid, tantalizing characters and settings.

    I'm going with Trillian on pure intrigue however. I desperately want to know more about the man in the trench coat . .

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both were great, but my vote goes for Trillian42.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Both were great submissions! Loved the pacing in the first story and then the twist at the end. My vote is for Anne Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Enjoyed both of them! I'm going to go for Anne Shirley, because I loved the images, and the ending took me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is the coolest idea EVER.

    Love it.

    And this was tough, but I'm voting for Anne Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's a tough choice. Anne's work is beautiful and fluid. Trillian's is snappy and tight.
    If I have to pick, I say Trillian... only because it fits my taste slightly more.
    Kudos to both writers tho! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My vote is for Anne Shirley. Hard decision though...they were both excellent! I want to read more Anne!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator