Newsletter Signup

.

Making Good

A couple of months ago when I was up to my ears with WRiTE CLUB business, I happened to be tagged by some fellow bloggers (Melissa Hurst, Amanda Borenstadt) for the Be Inspired Meme. I was appreciative of the recognition of course, but had to delay posting my follow up until things settled down a bit.  I always try to make good on my promises, so guess what…today's that day!

Being the habitual rule breaker that I am, I’m going to answer the ten questions that are part of the meme involving my book, but I’ll forgo passing it along to anyone else. Is that a collective sigh I just heard? :) But if any of you are inspired to pick up the torch and run with it, by all means consider yourself tagged.

1. What is the name of your book?  I have one book (Mystery/Thriller) that I’m actively querying, but for this meme I’m going to focus on my YA Paranormal book that is in the revision stage. The tentative name of that book is MOVING FEAR.

2. Where did the idea for your book come from? Oddly enough, an offhanded Facebook post by one of my blogging buddies.  *waves at Summer*

3. In what genre would you classify your book? YA Paranormal, age range 13+.

4. If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition, which would you choose? Ever heard of Pinterest? I have a Pinterest board specifically dedicated to my book where I’ve tagged the actors who fit the profile I was aiming for.  You can find that board HERE.

5. Give us a one sentence synopsis of your book. Sixteen year old Chace Gidden and his family have relocated for the last time, but now a terrifying presence has moved in with them, something ancient, evil...and determined to toy with them until it fulfills the outcome that has remained unchanged throughout time. Death! (okay…so I cheated a bit.)

6. Is your book already published? Not even close.  I have at least one major revision to take it through before I even let my critique partners see it.

7. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? My goal is to land an agent with this book, but I’m not against self-publication if that what it takes.

8. How long did it take you to write your book?  It took two months to outline it, then another four months to write it.  I’m guessing it will take another 8-12 months before its ready to be queried.

9. What other books in the same genre would you compare it to?  I see my book as an amalgamation of any Hardy Boys book and Stephen Kings IT and/or CHRISTINE.

10. Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book. In order to save his family, Chace must shed the loner mentality he built up after so many military relocation's and befriend both the socially challenged nerd next door whose nickname at school is 'Villain', and the cute but strong-willed tom-boy that watches over him.  Together the three of them race to figure out the secrets of a mysterious black box before it's terrible legacy is fulfilled yet again.


40 comments

  1. Something ancient and evil... I love the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me Summer?? Ha! I wouldn't be surprised. I bet it was a weird dream I had... (or if it wasn't me, never mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear about you and your writing. I've heard of a lot of writers who have pinterest boards for their books. I think that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your revisions, D.L. The offer still stands for a beta read when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool!! Your book sounds fantastic. Good luck revising and querying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your book sounds good. And, yes, that was a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. Good luck with your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic DL! Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else - it sounds wonderful! You had me when you compared it to IT! That book is soooo creepy. Good luck with the revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes...love the story. I think your pinterest board is the best use of it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the idea for your story, DL. There's nothing like a good horror tale :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are they calling horror paranormal now? Just curious, because your book sounds like a horror novel (especially if compared to "It"). Hmmm... Genres confuse me sometimes. In any regards, your story sounds intriguing. Have fun polishing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm about to brag... a LOT... and I have no shame. I have read an early draft of MOVING FEAR while on an 11-hour plane ride, and let me tell you, it did not feel like 11 hours. AT ALL. The story is gripping and the mystery keeps you guessing. I love the ensemble cast. The writing is superb. (But Don, you know all of this. I love first hearing the idea over the phone and seeing the brilliant story it has evolved into.) Everyone else, be prepared to have this book hit the shelves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a rule breaker too. It's your blog, do what you want. Same with your book. Agent/ self published...just do what you want and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. DL this sounds awesome! Good luck! Keep going! I want to read it!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh, sounds fantabulous! Good luck with it. However you get it published... I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I'm glad you're telling us about this book since I've been wanting to hear about it! Good luck with revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still smiling about Hardy Boys meets Stephen King. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really enjoyed these answers. Hope you get through those edits so we can hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I like the sound of your latest! I had to chuckle over the idea of the Hardy Boys tackling Stephen King's worlds. Intrepid.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the synopsis! Snagged me right away. And from a Facebook post? Inspiration comes from odd sources sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ...Hardy Boys book and Stephen Kings IT and/or CHRISTINE. Okay, you've got my interest. Keep working, we'll wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this sounds like a great story. Truly. I hope you don't make us wait too long before we can read it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  24. A combination of Hardy Boys and Stephen King sounds awesome!! )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds good, DL. I need to find you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WHOA! I had no idea you were working on a YA!! It sounds scary! But intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. #10: "must shed the loner mentality he built up. ." are you sure this isn't a memoir :)

    Sounds cool Don. I did one of these a while back and it helped me actually focus on the story. Weird huh?

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh yes indeed, I have heard of Pinterest - love it! Stephen King novels kinda scare me, though!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooooh, your book sounds fantastic!! Keep me in mind when/if you're looking for beta readers. You know I love me some horror.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good luck, DL, with your manuscript. You seem to have a very grounded, methodical approach which will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a promising synopsis! I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh, wow! That sounds like a great, SCARY book! An evil presence moves with them??? eeep! I'll have to read it w/the covers over my head--LOL! <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for stopping by and reminding me how much I enjoy your space. The book sounds intriguing. Heading over to Pintrest (one of my minor addictions)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just came back from Pintrest. What an awesome idea. I may need to steal that..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds good.... I am not into horror, but this does sound intriguing. Good luck with your revisions....

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like that last paragraph description!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love reading more about you, Don! You're such a great member of this fabulous community. :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the idea of the 10 questions! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  39. OH MY GOSH...sorry for the caps. IT is the scariest book. I look forward to reading your new one, but now I'm a little nervous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm such a baby when it comes to scary books, haha. But this sounds intriguing! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator