Newsletter Signup

.

The Back To The Future Blogfest


Suze, M.Pax, and Nicki Elson came up with what I think is an excellent bloghop adventure -- and it's called the Back to the Future Blogfest!  The ladies weren't content with looking back upon the past that was 2012, oh no...they're jumping forward to 2023.

Here's the instructions they gave for us to follow:

You're up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven't brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you ... from you.

You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox -- sent from ten years in the future -- and it's filled with items you have sent yourself.

What's in it?



Here's what I found inside my shoebox.

1. A pink, camouflaged-styled t-shirt.  I unfold it to find the words SURVIVOR imprinted on the back.  It's several minutes before my eyes are dry enough to look at the next item.

2. The cover sleeve from a novel, with my name as the author.  The fact that its just the sleeve, and not the book itself, doesn't elude me.  The future-me wants to make sure I do the work, but it's his way of telling me not to give up.

3. A snap shot of my entire family, a little aged -- but with everyone still there.  I spot a couple of new faces as well.  Its  taken outdoors with a rustic cabin and the backdrop of gorgeous mountains behind us.  I don't recognize the location, but somehow I know tomorrow I'll start looking for it. A reminder not to stop searching for new adventures.

4. My wife's diamond wedding ring.  What's so surprising about that is she lost that ring twenty years ago! Is that my future-self's way of showing me that there's no such thing as a lost cause?

5. A invitation to my son's wedding, with the name of the bride blacked out.  I guess people can change, sometimes we just need to be patient.

6. A speeding ticket with my name on it...doing 81 mph in a 70 mph zone on some obscure highway in Mississippi.  I guess I'm either telling myself to slow down and smell the roses...or stay out of Mississippi!


7. A pay stub from where I work, and paper-clipped to it is both an unclaimed lottery ticket and a note written in my own handwriting to look at the snapshot mentioned in #3. The thing is that both the pay stub and the lottery ticket are dated for March 1st, 2013...NOT sometime in the future.  My interpretation...it's okay to continue to search for fame and fortune...but I'm a pretty rich man right now!

8. And finally a newspaper with the bold-printed headline stating THE CUBS WIN WORLD SERIES.  There may be no such thing as miracles, but sometimes we can come really close.

Thank you Ladies for such an enjoyable blogfest! Here's the linky list of all the other participants for you to check out.

53 comments

  1. It looks a good blogfest but with the problems of the Internet of late has been unable to take part.
    I have set up a new blog which seems to be working ok at the moment, my other blog my followers were blocked not my me but some other unseen reason. I am now trying to retain my follwers of the past. I only have 2 at present.
    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! All of these are great! I really love #'s 1, 3, 4, 5 cause family is so important but 6 and 8 made me LOL! Come on Cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that wedding invitation sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this Don - I feel like you gave us better insight to who you are :) Plus - Number 1 WILL happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DL, your first item has me speechless. Sending Kim the best thoughts and prayers of my heart. That was beautiful.

    And, yeah, watch out for those hang glider cops -- not just in Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first item is wonderful.
    The last one will never happen. (But keep dreaming anyway.)
    And you and your sports car just stay clear of Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Yeah, the Cubbies winning a World Series? Good luck with that :) I was a Cubs fan as a little girl--I like Mark Grace and Andre Dawson :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this, especially the way you kept certain future knowledge from yourself and made sure that you did the work of writing your book. I wish I had thought of that :).
    However, my favorite part, and the one that I'm praying for is the first one. Hoping that you and your family are blessed with peace, strength, health, and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for the pink T-shirt. That's the most awesome thing in your box. Hey if you find my diamond... It fell out of my ring a few months back. I'm still bummed. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answers full of hope, love, and family. Apparently your future self has no intention of letting you rest on your laurels for the next ten years. About #8: I suppose if your wife's wedding ring could turn up after 20 years, the Cubs could take the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your future self is definitely looking out for you. I love that pink t shirt the most :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I think you've got a story brewing here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your list, especially the photograph. :) I also laughed about the World Series, I had that on my list too and admitted that the Reds actually winning it was beyond far-fetched. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been seeing some wonderful capsule revelations. Heartfelt, heartwarming, reminiscent, personal and encouraging. Yours is no exception. Number 1 really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Especially your #3. I want to start looking for that cabin scene too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic list, hope all your dreams come true :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list. I particularly like the unclaimed lottery ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool Stuff! What a fun blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, future-you is very positive! Love it. And #1 gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, that was a great list. And, actually, might be the makings of the novel that goes with that jacket flap. Some good stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are you sure that wasn't a paper from the not-so-distant past declaring "White Sox Win!" With a picture of Steve Perry at the parade?? Heehee.

    I'm so happy future you found your wife's ring! And congrats on the money & the awesome cabin.

    Thanks for joining the hop, D.L. Wouldn't be a party without you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwww, I loved your post, and you had me from the get-go with your item number one. But as much as I loved it, I've got a small quibble. That last item? Nope, that doesn't belong in a science fiction kinda hop; that's pure fairly tale, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great list!
    I love the pink T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Go Cubbies! My best friend is a huge Cubs fan and she would so love that future.

    Your list is wonderful. I like how each item has a lesson. I vote for continuing to speed but staying away from Mississippi. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband's top 2 items were proof his family was okay. . .and a winning lottery ticket. :) I'm with you on the dust jacket only, but NOT the Cubs win - go Brewers!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic post! I should've added a lotto ticket to mine. Hehehe! :) Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice list! I love how the items have their own special meaning to be interpreted.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the life lessons Don :) I'd be the same about the speeding ticket, lol.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your collect of items. One comment on the last one. I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan. If we can have 2004 and then 2007, there's hope for the Cubbies.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like #6. (that's a warning for both) I think it's great everyone is wishing for good news about their teams. That's loyalty. Thanks DL for the follow on my blog. I'm already on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great list, especially the cover of the book where you still would have to do the work. Encouragement is a great gift, regardless of time :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an intense and emotional list. Go you! I especially liked #6 - it made me chuckle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cool list of items to find from your future self. : )

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice list! And I'd LOVE for my fave team, the Cubbies, to win the world series! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. CUB WINS WORLD SERIES. A great dream. And it is always wise never to speed in Mississippi!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Blogger keeps knocking me off your follower list, so I re-upped once again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. you tease and tempt yourself!
    love you want to do survivor! cant wait to see that!
    and sorry, but the cubs are a lost cause =)

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful list! Maybe you're buying your wife a new ring tween now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  39. What great items to have in your box! I especially liked the book sleeve. Listen to your future self, he sounds like he knows a thing or two. (;

    ReplyDelete
  40. yes...get that wedding ring back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great stuff! The photo with all the family still happy and healthy would be priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great post, DL, and your future sounds very bright even with blips like speeding tickets. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a fantastic and meaningful list!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great post. Undeniably, the best. And you were even kind to the Cubbies.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The CUBS? HA! I seriously doubt they will EVER win the WORLD SERIES. IT would take a MIRACLE! LOL.

    Happy to here you will be rich with the lottery... Second one I've seen for the hop. NOW, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love number 2! That's just awesome.

    I send myself copies of my books and pictures of my daughter at every age to remind me how quickly time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This both cracked me up and brought tears to my eyes. *hugs*

    And I can relate to the lost wedding ring. My daughter accidentally threw mine and my engagement ring in the garbage when she was 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was a hilarious post! I wish I had put the NY Mets in mine. Maybe they could win one day too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very nice list! I love that you sent yourself the book jacket but not the words :) No cheating, eh? And yes, your whole family, enjoying a beautiful vacation somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Many people want to See Sport Cars of International and beautiful Sport Racing Cars, The Best and Latest Sport Racing Car HyperSport Car, Sport Vehicles, Most Popular Concept Cars, upcoming racing cars and more strange vehicles with pictures and Information
    WorldLatestVehicles.Com

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator