Newsletter Signup

.

Sunshine Award - Question Answers

How is this for timing? On Monday I lamented about how this blog has become rather stale and re-committed myself to revitalizing it (the post was pre-written and scheduled) -- and Sunday night I was tagged with the Sunshine Blogger Award.


The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to those who are inspiring and bring sunshine into the lives of their readers and fellow bloggers through their blogspace and/or their social media. I was tagged by Solange Hommel -- who was last years WRiTE CLUB winner.  Now, I received (and passed along) this same award several years ago so I'm not going to pass it along again, but I promised Solange I would answer the 11 questions that are part of the award, so this is me keeping that promise.

Thank you, Solange!



  1. What do you snack on while you’re writing?  There is ALWAYS coffee when I’m writing, but surprisingly not a lot of snacks. When I get up to stretch my legs and re-inflate my ass, I’ll sometimes grab a handful of peanuts to munch on, but that’s pretty much it.
  2. What’s your favorite location for maximum creativity and productivity? How often are you able to visit this setting? Those are two vastly different things, so I maximize them in two totally different spots. For creativity, I use a hot tub…and when one of those aren’t available, then a steaming hot shower. Don’t ask me why, but the majority of my story ideas come to me when I’m soaking in hot water. If I ever get stuck on a plot point or a particularly tough scene, I’ll either head to the Health Club (that’s where the hot tub is) or pop into the shower. Works every time. But it’s not particularly productive in the shower (hard to jot down notes or write much there), so for that I head for my corner desk in our living room. I can churn out thousands of words when I’m hunkered down at my desk with my headphones on.
  3. What is that one weird trick you can do? You know, the one you’d kind of like to forget, but your friends always bring up at parties after a couple of drinks? It’s not really a trick, more like an oddity. I have no sense of smell.  Never had one. For people who know me, it will always come up in conversation at some point…especially if drinks are involved.
  4. Tell us about the project you’re most proud of completing. I think a lot of writers who are asked this question might say their first book, but I have to go with my second. My first book was written on a dare…to myself. I had just finished writing a short story, which ended up being more like a novella, and I enjoyed myself so immensely that I challenged myself to turn it into a full-blown book. I did. I was proud of myself to be sure – but that was only because of how ignorant I was of everything involved in creating something worth publishing. When I discovered all the things I DID WRONG in writing that first book, and what was ahead of me if I were to really chase this dream, I wrote a second one. That one I’m proud of!
  5. Which clique did you hang out with in high school? If you could go back, would you hang out with the same crowd or choose different friends? I was sort of in a hybrid clique back then. I was athletic, on several sports teams (Football, Track, Tennis), but I was (am) extremely introverted and shy (not the same thing), so I hung out with a couple guys who were a combination of jocks and geeks. Would I go back and change some things? Well, it’s nice to fantasize about it, but the truth is a Zebra can’t change his stripes.
  6. How have you improved the world during your lifetime? Interesting question. I’d like to believe that in my own way I’ve done my part to improve the tiny piece of the world I inhabit. I’ve helped raise three amazing children – two of which are adults now – that are well adjusted and positive role models. I’ve worked for the same company for the past 26 years and helped it grow into a major food manufacturer. And in this writing community, I tried to foster inclusion and give as many people as possible an opportunity to have their voice heard.   
  7. Teleportation. Would you do it? Why or why not? There are different factors at play here – primarily safety and expense. If I’m comfortable with the answer to those questions, then absolutely!
  8. What is your favorite stupid joke? What's the difference between a Northern fairy tale and a Southern fairy tale? A Northern fairytale begins "Once upon a time." A Southern fairy tale begins "'Y'all ain't gonna believe this shit."
  9. What charitable organization do you think more people should support? I actually wouldn’t care, as long as they made some sort of commitment – for anything. If WE ALL gave back, in some small way, it would go a long long way.
  10. What is one topic you would never be able to write about? Why? I’m a big proponent of never saying never, but there are plenty of topics I wouldn’t feel confident enough to write about. One, for example, is how to be a successful sales person. As I stated in a previous answer, I’m just not wired that way.
  11. Name three things that are always in your fridge. Milk, filtered water, and at least one item that is past its shelf life!  :)


13 comments

  1. Hi DL - well deserved ... and wonderful answers ... Sales - I agree .. but love the way you start the two fairytales ... Once Upon a Time .. is the best ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely do things a bit differently down here in the south. :)

      Delete
  2. If it was safe, I'd teleport! Better than driving to work every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers, DL. You've got to admit the Southern opening for the fairy tale does get your attention quickly. We Southerns like to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I wasn't born a southerner, I have spent most of my adult life in the south. Gotta love their sense of humor! :)

      Delete
  4. If you've raised great kids, that's a big contribution to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers, DL! Thanks for sharing. I like you point that creativity and productivity are two different things and may require two different settings. And I completely agree that raising well-adjusted humans all the way to productive adulthood is a mighty accomplishment. I'm on page 207. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for tagging me Solange. It was fun to do. :)

      Delete
  6. Way to go on the nomination! Great answers. The stupid joke made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator