Newsletter Signup

.

Layers

Oops. I can't believe its been over a week since I've posted a new blog. Sorry about that. I promised myself when I came out of the closet and began promoting myself more with this blog that I'd post at least once a week. Look what I've done already. Bad Don *Slaps wrist*. I promise I'll do better!

Anyway, if you read the previous post you know that I lost a couple chapters of my book due to a file transfer problem. I've finally re-written those and I'm currently in the process of formatting the book for submissions (there is a standard font & font size, amongst other things). While I'm doing that I'm re-reading a couple of books I bought to help me with my writing. After I've finished studying up, I'll start with the next layer. Everybody writes differently, and my way is to start with an outline, write a first draft, tweak a few things in the plot that need emphasis, adjust the formatting, and then attack it again to add on more detail, descriptions, character elements. The final step is the buffing stage where I make it all nice and shiny for agents and publishers to look at. Don't I just sound like somebody who knows what he's doing. HA! I'm making this up as I go along, flying by the seat of my pants, but it's my process so far. Whose to say it won't change the next time I write, if there is a next time.

Just as I am layering onto my book, the same is true for my writing. I've composed an outline of what I'd like to accomplish, I've made initial foray into the process and fleshed out what it would take to be successful (my definition of successful). Now its time to add depth and really expand on the concepts I first conceptualized. What does it really mean to be a writer? I've just one major hurdle to overcome before I can throw myself into that question.

Can I write? Let me re-phrase that. Can I write something that is entertaining and doesn't sound pedestrian? Let me re-phrase that one more time. Can I write a story that a complete stranger (not friend or family) who is not also an aspiring writer who might lavish undeserved praise in hope for some in return, would enjoy. The jury is still out on that question. I'm willing to do the work and make the sacrifices required to stratify myself, but would you take music lessons if you found out you were tone deaf? There are some people who just can't tell jokes. They know all the pieces, but they don't have the comedic timing and flair for telling them. Writing is the same way. Your may have imagined the greatest story concept ever, but if you can't command the words to do your bidding, what's the point?

Anyway, those of you who have asked to be a test-subject for my book, you'll have to wait a little bit longer while I add at least one more layer. It shouldn't be too long. And when you read it, false praise won't do me any good. Be honest and thruthful.

I need to know if I'm tone deaf.

No comments

Post a Comment

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator