Newsletter Signup

.

Character Blogfest – The Reveal

Introducing… my vision of Billy Bostic





I hope it was okay that I didn’t respond to any of your comments yesterday knowing that this was coming today. And for those of you who are like me and have trouble keeping all of the characters we were introduced to yesterday straight, I’ve included my scene again at the bottom of this post so you wouldn’t have to click back to refresh your memory.

I was surprised how many of you said Billy was skinny, with thinning hair. My Billy is in his mid-forties, but a teenager at heart. He is constantly bouncing around with nervous energy and quick to leap into action, unfortunately without giving much thought to the consequences. The look in those blue eyes is but a hint at his complete unpredictability. He is commonly boisterous and impossible to embarrass, unless you question his intellect. A jock in high school and college, he is mindful of how people view him, fearing to be seen as all brawn and no brain. It’s amazing that his chest can contain the size of his caring heart, and he is loyal to a fault.

I invite you to get to know Billy better when I eventually get my book FALLEN KNIGHT published. :)

Here’s the scene again.



“Just keep your hands where we can see them, and don’t make sudden moves.” Billy was attempting to make his normally high-pitched voice come-off as menacing, but instead he sounded more like Elmer Fudd.

The corner of Mr. Brown’s mouth curled into a crooked smile as he slid both his hands in his pockets.

“Dude, you don’t want to be doing that.”

Brown turned his gaze directly to Billy. “Really? A middle-age man using the word dude.”

Billy pumped the slide on the shotgun roughly, ejecting a cartridge that bounced against the wall then tumbled onto the tile floor. He pointed the barrel directly at Brown’s head.

“What did you do that for?” Kent asked, making no attempt to hide his irritation.

“Shut up Kent,” Billy said.

“I thought they just did that in the movies. You already had a live round in the chamber, so why did you have to waste a shell and pump in another one?” Kent continued.

“Will you shut up! I should have dropped you off in Lafayette,” Billy said angrily.

“And miss seeing you doing your Rambo impersonation?” Kent shot back.

“Will you two clam shut,” Raymond snapped. The sweat from his palms was making his own shotgun slippery.

“Has someone called the police yet?” Dianne interrupted the bickering.

“The phone’s on the end table just behind me Mark,” Lee instructed, still not taking his eyes off of their captive.

A soft chuckle from Mr. Brown caused them all to go silent. He lowered his head, swiveled it from side to side a couple times, and then started to rise from his chair.

Both Billy and Raymond took a half-step backwards and re-adjusted the shotguns against their shoulders.

“Mister…I’m not afraid to use this, and I won’t miss” Billy warned.

“That’s right…he’s been the paintball champion of Lafayette Parish for three years running now,” Kent added.

“You have some brave and loyal friends Mr. Hamilton,” Brown said, looking slowly around the room at the six of them.

“I consider myself lucky,” Lee responded.

“It’s a shame that you got them all killed.”

36 comments

  1. Wow he is way handsomer than the guy I saw in my head after reading your snippet...cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately, different than I thought.
    Nice job!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS!!! i can't remember this actor's name but he is SO HILARIOUS!!! CANDY CANE! CANDY CANE! (seen that one??) a wonderful Billy!!! so happy to be wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that's a great picture--it seems to capture his personality :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I was w a y off! Great character, and I love the extra character sketch info you included. Have fun writing him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, way better looking than I originally imagined!!! I'm surprised... pleasantly surprised! Just goes to show how far off we can be at times!!

    Awesome blog fest entry DL!!! I really enjoyed putting this together. I never realized how many people I would have to visit... and 2 days equals twice as many!!! Phew! I'll need a weekend to recover... thank goodness it's here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang it. I was way off. But, now that I see your vision, he's a perfect fit. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great character! I loved your snippet of him. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I was *kinda* close with the nervous tick. Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that.

    Great character! He's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a little off...I had a little more geek.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not what I pictured at first, but looking at the picture, I decided it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Different than I had thought. More handsome, better educated. But really enjoyed your snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's MINNESOTA'S STEVE ZAHN!!! WOOO-HOOO!!! Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, much nicer looking guy than I thought. I can picture it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I love it!! I got the hair wrong, but I got everything else right! Big smile, blue eyes, sweet personality! Love it, love it, love it. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah, this picture is way better than what I pictured in m,y head...lol very bright eyes....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Steve Zahn.

    Shoot I think I missed your post from yesterday so I didn't get to guess. Oh well, it was still fun to read the reveal, thanks for sharing DL!

    Today's guest blogger is Renae Mercado!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, how funny! I was way off, too. Well done, though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, this picture fits your snippet to a T. Sounds like a fun character!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I totally guessed wrong, but so glad that I did. I love this image of your character! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I failed that test! Great snippet though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YES! I totally see it. Good one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for reposting the snippet - because i'm always missing out on stuff!

    although he's different than i imagined, the photo is way better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. He's a great character! And I like your description info.

    Of course I was totally wrong again:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well he's totally PERFECT! Forget my mullet idea ;--)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well I'll be, I was fairly close: Blue eyes, I chose light brown hair, but I'm in the brown family, and a snaggle tooth that's more endearing than ugly and he has a tiny snaggle going there on the left. Not a hard body, but not fat either. That's the best I've done. Whoohoo! Great character and please do share more.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha! That's pretty close to how I was thinking of him. Just add a ball cap and some ripped jeans and a t-shirt, and that's about where my head was at. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh God DL, he is perfect. I so see this guy being a good laugh. I got the bright eyes and do-gooder down. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww, Steve Zahn's a cutie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Boy - I was so far off ... again! This seems to be a pattern today :) I like your guy better than the one I pictured!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your description: great character, a kind whom I "know" in real life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, he's similar to what I thought! The ginger hair, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator