Newsletter Signup

.

Query Letter Wrap-up

I’m wrapping things up a couple days early with my Keep Those Query Letter Coming endeavor, but I haven’t received any letters since just before the holidays and I’m itching to put 2010 behind me and move forward.

This year’s exercise was even more successful than I hoped. I received a slew of interesting queries by some obviously talented writers, and just reading the diverse collection of styles was an education in and of itself. Gauging by what was sent to me, the Fantasy genre, by far, seems to be very popular now. Or maybe it’s actually a reflection of the persona my blog exudes? (This guy’s living in a fantasy…surely he can relate to my query). Whatever the case, there are some truly unique story concepts out there.

I’m going to close things out by posting another one of the letters I received. Once again, the criteria I used when deciding to post a query here was very simple…would I want to read that book. Not – do I think the book will sell. Not – because the letter was particularly well written. Not – because the author is my second cousin with a severe overbite problem. Nope, none of those. Just…does the book interest me?

This comes from the creative mind of Amandasaurus Rex, and if you’re interested in finding out more about her writing you can visit her blog at silvertonguedserenade.wordpress.com

Attn: Mr./Ms. Agent:

For her seventeenth birthday, Savannah Jane Quinn gets a free trip to the world of her dreams, which would be wicked… except that that world, a magical, unpredictable realm called Myriad, is on the brink of destruction, and she’s supposed to save it. Before the Empty Moon chronicles her quest, which she must complete before the moon is new or it’s lights out for dreamers everywhere.

It all started when Anna’s father mysteriously disappeared. Her dreams told her his disappearance was linked to an imminent war in Myriad, but what seventeen-year-old believes something her limbic system baked up at five in the morning?

But Anna’s best friend Jesse vanishes next, and now she has to believe – her dreams are the only clue she has. Anna soon learns that her fate is much, much bigger than rescuing her loved ones. More like rescuing the entire world. There is a muse in Myriad who doesn’t think humans deserve to have dreams, and he’s got the power to cut them off. If Anna doesn’t stop him, she’ll lose more than a father and a friend. She’ll lose everything, including her very self.

Before the Empty Moon is a 100,000 word young adult fantasy saga about adventure, trust, betrayal and redemption. It will be my third young adult novel. [Top secret biographical info goes here! ^_~]

Thank you for your considerate time and timely consideration. My full manuscript is available upon request. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

[Amandasaurus Rex]

PS. Don’t forget about the Significant Other Blogfest on January 21st.  That's just over two weeks from today. :)

16 comments

  1. ooh, I'm intrigued.

    I really like this bit...

    "Her dreams told her his disappearance was linked to an imminent war in Myriad, but what seventeen-year-old believes something her limbic system baked up at five in the morning?"

    ...but I think it would work better as a statement.

    Overall, I would pick this up if I read the back. There are not enough original YA fantasy books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a great response. Fantasy, huh? Maybe I'm writing the wrong genre...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific query. I would definitely read this book.

    Sparkling sentences such as: Before the Empty Moon chronicles her quest, which she must complete before the moon is new or it’s lights out for dreamers everywhere.

    And: Her dreams told her his disappearance was linked to an imminent war in Myriad, but what seventeen-year-old believes something her limbic system baked up at five in the morning?

    Really clinched it for me.

    Best of luck AR and thanks DL for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great education . . . reading a bunch of queries like that. And I find it fascinating to see what interests others.

    And good luck with your book, Amandasaurus! (love the name) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i liked the Limbic system line. It made me LOL.
    Also the top secret biographical info, even though i know that's not actually on the query

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely hear the book's voice ringing true in this query. Well done, Amandasaurus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all, and thanks Don for posting this here! It's exciting to hear what people think of the idea. I can only hope the reception will be so warm if this thing does someday hit shelves!

    ~ Miss Rex

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it! I agree. I'd totally read this book. *skips off to Amandasauras Rex's blog*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep! I would want to read this one too. It sounds like a fun story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very intriuging story line - sounds like lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im a fantasy junkie, of course I loved it!Really good premise here.
    Just one tiny thing: there's too much word repetition: i.e (that that) and (much,much).
    Wishing Rex good luck! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DL--Great job on the query project. You're right: reading everyone's differing ideas and styles is a real education.

    Also, I just wanted to stop in and say thank you. I'm celebrating my blog's one year anniversary today, and you were a big part of why I kept with it--particularly in the early days.

    Looking forward to a rockin' 2011. From the bottom of my heart, thanks! :D

    (sorry for the repost. Looks like my cutter/paster is acting up!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh she HAS to save Myriad because I can't lose my dreams...they're so very entertaining! :P

    Hubs is cackling at the idea of being able to post on the blog. Not sure what you've started....

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator