Newsletter Signup

.

E is for Established




I know the term is used mostly for business, but it can really apply to a multitude of things. But the problem with using it is the absence of a clear definition of when it can be claimed. When do you truly become ESTABLISHED?

How is it measured?

Money? Probably not, since there are plenty of businesses that have been around forever that barely make ends meet – and conversely there are companies who are out of business after just a few years of good fortune.

Maybe it’s a certain level of notoriety? Do 10,000 Facebook friends mean you’re established? 50,000? 250,000?

How about longevity? What length of time dictates the difference between struggling and established?

I’m not here to provide any answers…just to fuel the discussion. Myself…I feel I’m an established blogger. I’ve been around for six years (which is forever in blog years), have a decent amount of followers and generate a fair number of comments. As a writer…I’m anything but. Yes…I have an agent, but nothing in print yet. When I do become published I’ll join a LOT of writers who are selling books, but haven’t become established yet. When does that happen?

Anybody have an answer? What about an opinion?

14 comments

  1. An interesting word. I don't think I've ever used it in reference to my achievements or those of others. I guess I would consider an author established if they had a lifetime of books behind them - is that too harsh?

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what to consider established? I suppose it depends on goals or others' perceptions. Is it one book? Ten? Is it having a traditional deal or a huge band of followers? There's probably different levels of "established"

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that is your definition for an established blogger, then I guess I am one as well.
    As for author, I have no idea. Even with my fourth book coming out tomorrow, I still don't feel established.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel established in blogging, but even then, I'm beginning to question what authority I have to blog on anything... I have no idea what it takes to feel established as an author. I have a feeling we'll always feel like frauds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think established probably means different things to different people. It's so hard to know!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'll ever be established...unless I become as successful as J.K. Rowling. *sighs* Wishful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's notoriety, I feel. If a decent part of the population (any population, be it genre readers or author bloggers) know who you are, you're established. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it depends how much established and successful merge in your mind. I would say if anyone is looking for you then you are established.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Don - sounds like a good example .. I don't think Likes qualify frankly ... we can all go out and get those ... and what have we achieved .. not a lot. I'd rather have an interesting blog, with some friendly comments ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging is one way I can say I'm established. The rest of my life feels like a work in progress. I'd like it to be more settled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've wondered this myself! I think you're established when you're happy with what you do..much like success--what does it all mean if we don't love our work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe this is one of those terms like 'beauty'; it primarily exists in the 'eye of the beer-holder'. Being established can mean a multitude of different things to different people. Best to feel comfortable in your own skin, and compete only with yourself - be better today than you were yesterday. Eventually you should begin to feel like you are on solid ground- established- in your own mind. At the end of the day is 't that the only thing that really matters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great questions that I have no answers for. It does make me realize that I'm not really established at anything except, perhaps, as a volunteer. I guess I associate being established with recognition. If people recognize your name without actually knowing you, then maybe you're established?!
    Brandy from Brandy's Bustlings

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had an established website at Angelfire for almost a decade, and then it was yanked from under me without any warning or real explanation. i had to start all over again at WordPress. Hopefully I'm somewhat established by now, a bit over four years after I started my current main blog.

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator